Indigo's Cultural Arts Centers Teen Mentorship & Rites of Passage is a diversion at-risk youth (13 to 18) program. We also accept young adults (19 to 25). Our program accepts only 25 youth maximum per year. Our program is a year-long commitment. A Rites of Passage Program is the transition of one stage of development to the next with the assistance of one’s community while reaffirming cultural, traditional, historical customs. We use folk –art, traditional art forms, leadership and social skill development as tools to aid our youth transitions.
This allows our youth to accomplish the below outcomes:
- Increased self –esteem through self-care and racial identity
- Increased understanding of leadership skills
- An increased understanding of the need to use social
etiquette and social skill development
- Increased desire to attend college, development of one’s
skills in a trade or becoming an entrepreneur.
- Increased understanding of respect for elders.
- Increased understanding of ancestor veneration though the
development of one’s family tree via Genograms.
- Increased desire to practice morals & values
- Increased desire to learn about their own history, culture and
- Increased understanding of art forms that aid in healing from